Frequently Asked Workers' Compensation Questions

A workplace injury or illness can change your entire life. We know you have questions about the steps you will need to take in order to recover workers' compensation benefits. At the Law Office of Frank A. Cetero, our attorneys have more than 50 years of combined experience helping individuals with their claims for benefits.

Some of the frequently asked workers' compensation questions we hear at our firm include:

  • Am I covered under workers' compensation? To qualify for workers' compensation benefits, you must be injured in the course of employment. Depending on your circumstances, this may include driving between various offices, delivering packages or transporting patients, or slipping in your parking lot at work. Speak with our attorneys to find out if your claim qualifies.
  • How do I give my employer notice of the accident? New York state law requires an injured worker to give your employer a written report of the accident within 30 days of the incident or from when you knew, or should have known, of a work-related injury. You should notify your supervisor immediately, or as soon as possible, after the accident. Tell your supervisor exactly what happened on the job to cause your injury or medical problem. Make sure you have written proof that you advised your employer of the injury.
  • Can I get medical treatment for my injuries? You should seek medical treatment for your injuries immediately. Even if you think you might not be seriously injured, see a doctor to assess your condition. Make sure to provide the doctor with a complete description of how the accident happened and all of your injuries no matter how minor. If you do not seek medical attention and your condition gets worse, it may be more difficult to prove you were injured on the job. Your case is based on the medical evidence of your injuries.
  • Who can I treat with? You can treat with any hospital, medical doctor(s) or medical professional who is authorized by the Workers' Compensation Board to treat workers' compensation patients.
  • Can I get paid money for missing work due to my injuries? If you have missed more than seven days of work due to injuries from a work-related accident, you may be entitled to receive money for your lost wages. The amount of money an injured worker receives varies based on the date of the accident, his or her wages and percent of disability.
  • My chiropractor is not being paid. What can I do? How do I get more physical therapy? Was an MG-2 form completed? Was it approved? Your doctor or chiropractor needs to completely fill out and submit an MG-2 form once your exhaust your initial treatment allotment under the Medical Treatment Guidelines. If there is no response in 30 days, an Order of the Chair can be generated to authorize treatment.
  • Do I need authorization for an MRI? Under the Medical Treatment Guidelines, the first diagnostic testing for a back, neck, shoulder or knee injury does not require pre-authorization.

Our Experienced Legal Team Can Be The Difference

Contact our experienced Suffolk County lawyers by calling 631-517-0941 or send us an email to schedule your free consultation.