After a work-related injury, you may wonder whether you will be able to return to your job, and if so, when. You may wonder how to report the injury to your superiors and what doctor you should see. At the Law Office of Frank A. Cetero, we know that a work-related injury can result in a lot of fear and uncertainty. 

You may not even be sure whether the injury qualifies for workers’ compensation. Injuries typically qualify if you sustained them in the course of performing your job duties and if you are an employee rather than an independent contractor. 

If you believe you have sustained a work-related injury, do not hesitate to seek medical attention. It is important for you to seek treatment as soon as possible. You can see any medical doctor or go to any hospital with the authorization to treat work-related injuries from the Workers’ Compensation Board. This also applies to providers who are not medical doctors, such as nurse practitioners or chiropractors. 

You should report the accident to your supervisor as soon as possible after the accident. Depending on the circumstances, you should do this even before seeking medical treatment. Within 30 days of the accident, or the discovery of the work-related injury or illness, you should provide a written report to your employer detailing information about your injury or illness and the conditions under which it occurred. This is a requirement under New York Law. 

Workers’ compensation typically provides reimbursement for medical bills, lost wages and possibly other types of expenses. More information is available on our website.